Monday, August 24, 2009

Introductions

Justin recommended that we meet at some point, and I'd support that if we can settle on a time and place.

Any recommendations ?

But in the mean time, let's introduce ourselves to the rest of the group ?

My complete profile is off on the left side, but in brief, I work for NASA but currently am on assignment to the University of Houston teaching this course and another on space project management, and also working towards my PhD.

My undergrad is in Geology-mainly planetary, and I had minors in Astronomy and Education, all from the U of Massachusetts, Amherst. My Masters is in Management.

Prior to coming to the space center, I was a planetarium director for many years.

For NASA (and contractors) I worked in the Shuttle Program, Space Station Program, Spacehab, and the Space Exploration Initiative. I was one of the lead managers for the Shuttle-Mir Program.

My main contribution to spacecraft design have been on Mir, where I redesigned and built much of the hardware for the last Mir module, Priroda, and the International Space Station, where I contributed to the architecture and lay outs of the modules and developed much of the logistics system now in use.

I also write quite a bit. I've had couple books published for the public in recent years, and also wrote some of the main management and design documents of the early Space Station Program and management documents for the Mir and Spacehab programs.

3 comments:

  1. I'm Justin Kugler. Currently, I work for SAIC and support the ISS National Laboratory Office. Long story short, I help with the research planning for putting science experiments on the space station.

    Previously, as an L-3 Communications employee, I developed an initial model of the spacesuit and Crew Health Systems for the Constellation Training Facility. My first job out of college, though, was working as a systems analyst for the CIA.

    I have a B.S. in Aerospace Engineering from Texas A&M and a M.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Rice. I did three tours as a NASA intern, including a summer in Franklin Chang-Diaz's plasma rocket lab before he took it private.

    I've been published as a sci-fi writer in Palladium Books' Rifter magazine and currently blog about space and politics for the Houston Chronicle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Everyone,

    Just to introduce myself, my name is Jason, I do Rheumatology Research at UT Houston Medical School, and this is the start of me second year in the MS program

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Marius Dettmer, I am a third-year PhD-student, my area is Motor Control/Learning. I have a graduate degree from Germany (Sport Science) and prior to my studies in the U.S., I worked as an Exercise Consultant for a Bed-rest study in Toulouse, France (WISE 2005). Ever since then, I have been mostly interested in the effects of spaceflight on motor control/sensory systems, and potential countermeasures to motor control loss in space and after return to earth.

    P.S.: Justin, are some of your sci-fi writings online? I would love to read some of that!

    ReplyDelete